Sunday, September 11, 2011

The day I'll NEVER forget....

Oh how I will NEVER forget September 11, 2001.  It was my senior year in high school... only a few months from turning 18 years old.  I remember the day like it was yesterday as I watch the tv screen replay that sad sad day over and over again.  I'm in tears... even 10 years later as they replay the visions that were a reality for our country.  As I watch the planes hit the building... I have to constantly remind myself that this was REAL... this in fact was not a movie or a scene on the screen... this was REAL life in NY.  I am amazed at the devastation that terrorists could create in a matter of minutes.  The lives that would soon be affected in so many ways by pure hate from these people.  How?  How on God's beautiful green earth could anyone posses this much hatred to KILL so many innocent lives?  "How?", I ask myself over and over again!

I am speechless this morning as I sit in quiet watching the screen of the families victims talk about the loved ones they lost.  And now having to live in constant fear and terror of the thought of how their loved one passed away.  Oh how it breaks my heart each and every time I watch.

I remember that day, Tuesday, September 11, 2001... I was walking across the breezeway from one building to another going to my graphic design class in my senior year.  Oh my... I remember so many were hurrying down the breezeway towards me in a frantic!  I couldn't tell why everyone was in such a hurry.  All of a sudden my friend, Cindy, came towards me... she said, "oh my gosh Brantley, my dad is there!!!"  I said, "What are you talking about?"  She said, "You mean you didn't hear?"  I said, "no, what happened?"  She went on to tell me a plane hit one of the twin towers!  She said her dad was on a flight headed that way and she knew her dad had to be on that plane!!!  I about fell to the floor!

So, I hurried to my class where everyone was standing in utter silence as they gazed at the screen.  My teacher said in the quietest voice... this my friends is history in the making.  Never forget this day.  You are apart of history TODAY.  I never fully understood that until just moments later... the second plane hit as we all watched.  Oh my word... is this really happening?!!  We all realized, without it being said... this is terrorism in the making!

The next day we found out my friend's dad was safe and thankfully he was not on any of the flights that were in danger.  Praise the Lord!  But that day... so many others lost their loved one in a horrible day that NO ONE will EVER FORGET!  No one!  

Do you remember that day?  Where were you when history was being made?


Please pray for the families that have to live with this nightmare daily.  Pray for the people that risked their lives to save others - only to die in the process.  Pray for all those involved - the military, the fire fighters, the rescue teams, the volunteers, the police, and those that are never mentioned.  Pray for them.

Until then.... Brantley

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was a senior in high school too! Definitely praying!